Friday, January 11, 2013

High School Reflections


What is something you wish you were told as a high schooler?

That popularity in high school has absolutely nothing to do with overall success and happiness in life.  That is completely true. I would never consider myself "popular" while in high school, not in the way that some people were, but if you think about it in real terms I was more popular than many people since I was good to people.  I was president of our class and I did lots of good things. I had friends of all kinds and I wasn't judgmental.  That was my problem in middle school I didn't get that.  I struggled a lot to try to fit in and have a boyfriend and all of that.  Turned out I was the first of many of my friends to get married and I have maintained the good friendships in my life.  I'm afraid at the time I wouldn't have been able to hear it. I'm pretty sure my cheerleading coach Shelley tried to tell me such things. Even to this day when friends tell me that I was popular or whatnot I don't believe it. I think part of the problem was that some of the people in high school make you feel bad when they are feeling bad about themselves.  After watching Bowling For Columbine by Michael Moore I felt the urgency of understanding this idea even more.  I think that if I could tell all high schoolers that in just a few years they won't have to be in contact with anyone from high school unless they want to and that they can move beyond living in the little island called high school if they needed to.  The roles we give ourselves in high school can come to an end and immediately be free if we are able to see this truth.  I did a writing prompt with students today about popularity and kindness.  One child said, "You don't have to be rich to be kind" and I thought it was so fitting and thoughtful.  All of the responses were so meaningful.  I don't believe in time travel but if it ever comes to fruition I do believe that I would use it to go back and talk to my high school self and encourage her and let her know that the person you are today is only temporary, good things will become of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment